Why You Need to Attend Colony Christmas in Palmer, Alaska
Colony Christmas in Palmer, Alaska, is an old-fashioned country Christmas celebration that’s fun for the whole family. Each year, visitors and locals flock to downtown Palmer to enjoy craft fairs, sleigh rides, pictures with Santa, and much more. You can even pet a reindeer! A dazzling holiday parade and fireworks show tops off the weekend. This year’s Colony Christmas celebration will be held from December 9 – 11, 2016 and will leave you with lasting memories. Here are some of the things you’ll see there.
Top 5 Things To Do During Colony Christmas in Palmer, Alaska
- Merry Movies at the Moose: Kick off Colony Christmas weekend at the Palmer Moose Lodge! On December 9th, families can enjoy hot drinks, popcorn, and classic Christmas movies while lounging in their pajamas. There’s also a free raffle with kid’s prizes. “Merry Movies at the Moose” begins at 6 p.m.
- Colony Christmas Cookie Contest: The annual cooking baking contest is a Colony Christmas tradition. This year’s theme is “Mountains of Fun” – AKA, mountains of cookies! Simply arrange a plate with your favorite homemade cookies and deliver them to the Colony Inn on December 10th. A panel of judges will critique each entry on appearance, creativity, and taste before giving out awards. Visit the Palmer Chamber of Commerce website for more info.
- Meet the Reindeer: If you’ve never seen a reindeer in person, now’s your chance! You can pet, feed, and take photos with Santa’s reindeer in the Capstone Kid Zone across from the Palmer Visitor Center. This activity is free and fun for visitors of all ages.
- Frost a Cookie: “Frost A Cookie” is another beloved children’s event that’s offered each year. Kids can decorate (and eat!) delicious Christmas cookies from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on December 10th.
- Parade of Lights: After you’ve enjoyed all of the fun outdoor activities, warm up with a hearty bowl of chili at the Alaska Bible College. Then head back out to watch the Parade of Lights. The parade’s beautifully decorated holiday floats start on Blueberry Street, wind through town, and disperse near the Palmer Jr. Middle School. A spectacular fireworks display closes the weekend with a bang.
Book Your Stay with Alaska Garden Gate B&B and Cottages
Now that you know all about Colony Christmas in Palmer, Alaska, it’s time to start planning your trip! Alaska Garden Gate is the perfect place to stay and has everything you need for a memorable getaway. Our comfortable cottages and apartments are perfect for families, and our bed and breakfast rooms are a cozy and economical. You’ll also enjoy a delicious complimentary breakfast each morning of your stay! Visit our accommodations page to see what’s available and contact us to make your reservations. We look forward to spending the holidays with you!
Find out how you can save on your trip to Palmer, AK, with our vacation specials!